Standing in an elevated position with over an acre of hillside garden filled with unusual trees, Arden House is full of character and has some truly distinctive features. Built on the site of a former quarry by the Mayor of Shrewsbury and renowned business man, William Blower in 1903, the craftsmanship epitomises the Arts & Crafts Movement and offers a unique experience.
Arden House is located in an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, with the National Trust's beautiful Carding Mill Valley outside the front door - the location is second to none.
Access and Facilities
Arrival and car parking facilities
- Off road car parking is available opposite the main gate, across the single track road to Carding Mill Valley. Guests will be sent directions and an image of the private parking bay in the booking confirmation email
- An off-road private parking bay is also available off Trevor Hill
- Assistance with luggage is available.
- Access to the Mackintosh and Darwin Suites is via a standard width garden gate with a slight incline to steps to the entrance porch with an external door to the inner hall and a further single door to each apartment
- Access to the Turret Penthouse is from the Trevor Hill parking bay with steps to a bridge which spans the bank at the rear of Arden House.
- All room doors are of standard residential width
- Each apartment has its own entrance door
- Guests will be provided with keys.
Bedrooms and en-suite bath and shower rooms
- All bedrooms are located within the first and second floor apartments
- Arden House does not have a lift
- All rooms have standard fitments with fitted carpets in all bedrooms and ceramic tiles to all en-suite bath/shower rooms
- All toilets, showers and pedestal basins are of a standard domestic design.
- Kitchens are fully fitted with cookers, hobs, fridges, extractor fans, dishwashers, microwave ovens, washer/dryers, cooking utensils and crockery.
- Lounges have quality furnishings with comfortable sofas and chairs with flat screen TVs, stylishly decorated with original art
- Dining areas have tables, chairs with ample seating for all guests.
- Smoke alarms give a loud beeping noise if activated
- In the event of an emergency, instructions are on the back of each entrance door
- In the event of a power cut, there is emergency lighting and torches are available in bedside cabinets
- Fire extinguishers and fire blankets are available in each suite/apartment
- Smoking is not permitted inside Arden House.
Grounds & Gardens
- Arden House has level patio area with garden tables, chairs and parasols for shade on hot days. From the front door there are four steps to a garden with level lawn
- The grounds are on a steep slope and we recommend guests keep to the garden and patio around the house and take care to ensure children keep to these areas
- The Turret Penthouse has a rooftop patio, located on the top of the turret with panoramic views.
- A wireless broadband internet facility is freely available
- For our very young guests, a high chair and travel cot is available